May 15, 2011

The Flicker

This was a thesis project in university animated in what has become my favorite style to work with.

April 3, 2011

Goomba coaster

I'm waiting on a silicone order right now so I figured I'd use up the rest of my sculpey making more stuff. Once I have the silicone I'll cast them all at the same time.

March 27, 2011


This was one of my first attempts at animation. I was still learning Aura and getting a feel for the software's features.

Big thanks to Jaymez for the awesome music.

March 17, 2011

Now in color!

Here's the final paint job. It took a while because I wasn't sure which colors I wanted to use but any future reproductions will go significantly quicker.

March 7, 2011

An oldy

Just found this on my old hard drive. It's an animation I did for my drawing major. I never could think of a title for it and eventually gave up after a couple years.
Thanks to Brett McCoy for doing the music on very short notice before a screening a few years back.

February 24, 2011


I dremeled and filed down the flashing around the edges. I also fixed that crater in the pipe wrench by pressing it back into the mold with some fresh resin.

I'm still having a little trouble leveling the feet. It looks like they may have been angled slightly in the casting process. It'll take some time but I should be able to sand them until they're level.

February 23, 2011

Better then expected resin cast

Okay, here it is. I'm not too sure about the thickness yet so I may end up drilling a hole in the bottom and adding more resin just to make sure it's durable.
You can see there is a lot of flashing around the edges but that was expected. There were some silicone bubbles between the legs that led to excess resin that will need to be filed down.
The biggest problem was a resin bubble that formed in the pipe wrench during the casting. It's hard to see in the picture below but there's actually a large crater in the side of the wrench making it almost hollow. I had a similar problem with part of the Rageguy cast and I filled it in okay so hopefully it won't be too big a problem.
Once I get it all cleaned up I'll find out whether or not the baby powder in the mold actually made it paintable.

February 21, 2011


I decided to scrap the inferior half of the mold shell which was too far gone to use. I set the silicone into the face half and drizzled plaster over the back to hold it in place. The plaster all the way around also lets me hold it while rotocasting without compromising the shape of the silicone.

Since most of my keys didn't survive the original separation, I decided to keep the back shell pretty thin and I'll just break it off when I'm ready to demold. The rubber bands are just there for added support.

The first batch of resin mostly leaked out through the seams. It was expected so I mixed a small batch. The first batch also sealed the seams as it cured so I shouldn't have to worry about any more leaking, I'll just have a lot of cleanup to do on the finished product.

February 17, 2011


Okay, this turned out to be a better solution. Just cut up some paperclips and poked them through the wall.
Last step will be too patch up a few holes with some more silicone. It's a big mistake I made several times while separating the two halves of the mold.
Once all the holes are sealed I can revisit the shell issue. Unfortunately I'll have to deal with seams sticking out on the finished product but I should be able to sand or file them down.