January 19, 2011

Almost done

Okay, here it is. I still have some clean-up and detailing to do but it's otherwise finished.
I'm debating whether or not I should bake it before I start applying the silicone.

Pro: In case anything goes wrong in the casting process, the sculpt will survive and I can cast it over again if necessary.

Con: I'd be losing a lot of sculpey.

Anyways, I'll hopefully be starting the silicone tomorrow so I'll have to make a decision by then.

January 16, 2011

New sculpt

I've been working on this for about a week now. You can see a larger abandoned project in the background; you'll find I have a bad habit of doing that. 

It's my first time using Sculpey Firm and I'm impressed so far but I mixed it with some Sculpey III to make it a little more manageable. I still have a lot of work to do but hopefully I'll be posting some pics of the finished piece in a few days.

January 15, 2011

Moderate success

I decided to test out two new materials to give my sculpts some permanence: Smooth-cast 305 and Rebound 25. Choosing some relatively easy subjects, the process went as well as could be expected for a first attempt. Both casts survived the demolding and look good on a desk.

"Rageguy" turned out okay except for some weak spots that broke early on. I fixed them by adding on some half-cured smooth-cast and sculpted it until it set. I was surprised by how well it took the enamel paint.

I was a little cocky going into the process with "trollface" and it came back to bite me. I didn't properly monitor the curing of the silicone and ended up with a lot of bubbles. The bubbles were an easy fix but my lack of patients in the actual casting left me with a few weak spots in the final product. I'll see what I can do to fix it up a bit.

I think I'll throw them up on ebay to make some materials costs back. The molds are still in great shape so I can reproduce them if I want one of my own.